Date: May 31, 2019
Event: Chevrolet Detroit Grand Prix (Round 5 of 10)
Series: Daytona Prototype international division of the IMSA WeatherTech SportsCar Championship
Location: The Streets of Belle Isle in Detroit (2.36-mile, 13-turn temporary circuit)
Pole Winner: Juan Montoya of Team Penske (1:19.373 at 105.585 mph)
Result: 6th by Renger van der Zande (1:20.448 at 105.161 mph)
The No. 10 Konica Minolta Cadillac DPi-V.R will start Saturday’s Chevrolet Detroit Grand Prix from the outside of the third row after IMSA WeatherTech SportsCar Championship qualifying Friday on the Streets of Belle Isle circuit in Detroit.
Renger van der Zande, sharing the cockpit this weekend with full-time co-driver Jordan Taylor, clocked a fast lap of 1 minute, 20.448 seconds at 105.161 mph around the 2.36-mile, 13-turn temporary street circuit. It was good for sixth among the 23 car-and-driver combinations that will take the green flag for Saturday’s one-hour, 40-minute sprint race.
“A lot happened today,” said van der Zande, who qualified seventh here a year ago this weekend and co-drove with Taylor to a fifth-place finish. “The first practice, we were fundamentally wrong on some items, so we adjusted to them the second time out in free practice two and we made a big step forward. On a personal note, I had to adapt during the day. We decided that I would still qualify and I think qualifying went reasonably well, we got more or less the maximum out of the car. We made some setup changes that worked in some areas and some setup changes that didn’t work in other areas. That’s the interesting part of engineering, sometimes. It was an all-out lap. I was on the limit every which, on a street track, is always an amazing feeling. Let’s see what the weather does tomorrow, first, and we’ll fight our way up.”
The top-five qualifiers for Saturday’s Chevrolet Detroit Grand Prix are:
1. Acura Team Penske (No. 6 Acura DPi) Juan Montoya and Dane Cameron (1:19.373 at 105.585 mph)
2. Acura Team Penske (No. 7 Acura DPi) Helio Castroneves and Ricky Taylor (1:19.580 at 106.308 mph)
3. Mazda Team Joest (No. 55 Mazda DPi) Jonathan Bomarito and Henri Tincknell (1:19.960 at 105.802 mph)
4. Action Express Racing (No. 31 Cadillac DPi-V.R) Pipo Derani and Felipe Nasr (1:19.991 at 105.761 mph)
5. Action Express Racing (No. 5 Cadillac DPi-V.R) Joao Barbosa and Filipe Albuquerque (1:20.239 at 105.434 mph)
The green flag flies at 12:40 p.m. EDT Saturday with live television coverage beginning at 12:30 p.m. on NBCSN.