Date: June 29, 2019
Event: Sahlen’s Six Hours of The Glen (Round 6 of 10)
Series: Daytona Prototype international division of the IMSA WeatherTech SportsCar Championship
Location: Watkins Glen (N.Y.) International (3.4-mile, 11-turn road course)
Pole Winner: Oliver Jarvis of Mazda Team Joest (1:29.639 at 136.547 mph)
Result: 5th by Renger van der Zande (1:30.758 at 134.864 mph)
The No. 10 Konica Minolta Cadillac DPi-V.R will start Sunday’s Sahlen’s Six Hours of The Glen from the inside of the third row after IMSA WeatherTech SportsCar Championship qualifying Saturday at Watkins Glen (N.Y.) International.
Renger van der Zande, sharing the cockpit this weekend with full-time co-driver Jordan Taylor, clocked a fast lap of 1 minute, 30.758 seconds at 134.864 mph around the 3.4-mile, 11-turn road course. It was good for fifth among the 37 car-and-driver combinations that will take the green flag for Sunday’s six-hour endurance marathon. It was the best qualifying effort of the season for the Konica Minolta Cadillac DPi-V.R team, which had previous bests of sixth at Daytona, Sebring and Detroit, and was best of the Cadillac DPi-V.Rs behind a pair of Mazdas and a pair of Acuras.
“It was a good qualifying session for us – the car was brilliant,” said van der Zande, who qualified eighth here a year ago this weekend and co-drove with Taylor to a fifth-place finish. “I think it was a very good lap that all came together. This is an amazing track, especially on new tires and low fuel. It’s an honor to be driving around in these kinds of cars on this type of track. The Mazdas and the Acuras are on a different level, so we’re definitely best of the rest.”
The top-five qualifiers for Sunday’s Sahlen’s Six Hours of The Glen are:
1. Mazda Team Joest (No. 77 Mazda DPi) Oliver Jarvis, Tristan Nunez, Timo Bernhard (1:29.639 at 136.547 mph)
2. Acura Team Penske (No. 6 Acura DPi) Dane Cameron and Juan Montoya (1:29.862 at 136.208 mph)
3. Acura Team Penske (No. 7 Acura DPi) Ricky Taylor and Helio Castroneves (1:29.928 at 136.108 mph)
4. Mazda Team Joest (No. 55 Mazda DPi) Henri Tincknell, Jonathan Bomarito, Olivier Pla (1:29.983 at 136.025 mph)
5. Konica Minolta Cadillac DPi-V.R (No. 10 Cadillac DPi-V.R) Renger van der Zande and Jordan Taylor (1:30.758 at 134.864 mph)
The green flag flies at 9:45 a.m. EDT Sunday with NBCSN’s three-hour race broadcast set for 7 to 10 p.m. Live streaming video of the race begins at 9:30 a.m. on the NBC Sports App and NBCSports.com. Live timing and scoring and in-car camera video will be available at IMSA.com.